Cutting your dog’s nails is a part of your dog’s grooming and something that you must not overlook. Overgrown nails or allowing your dog’s nails to grow too long could create a number of health problems in your dog like deforming of bones and sores on the part of their paws.
To cut your dog’s nails, you can either take him to a professional dog groomer or you can cut them yourself at home. If you want to do the latter, you will need a good quality dog nail clipper for it.
What is a Dog Nail Clipper?
A dog nail clipper is your dog’s nail cutter. It is used to cut or clip Coco’s nails and it comes in different shapes and sizes. Many dog owners and especially the new dog owners think that a nail clipper is the same as the nail cutter and try to use their personal nail cutter for it.
Don’t do it. Dog’s nails are different from us and this is why their nail cutters are also different. Your nails have a different shape than your dog’s and this is why both of you have different kinds of cutters than each other.
Grooming is important to ensure your dog’s perfect health and nail clipping is a part of thorough dog grooming. Besides nails, there are other things that are added in it and a complete dog grooming guide will help you in grooming your dog properly.
Here, we have discussed the top dog nail clippers that are designed to get your dog nails trimmed to perfection.
Best Dog Nail Clippers for Coco in 2022
When it comes to cutting your dog’s nails and nail trimming, you should use both nail clippers and nail files. You can make a schedule that suits you and also choose to do the task yourself or take Coco to a professional.
Regardless of what you choose to do, a good dog nail clipper is essential for it. Even when taking Coco to the professional, we suggest that you carry your dog’s personal nail clipper.
To help you choose, below are some of the best dog nail clippers that are made from high-quality material and are the best in the market.
Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer By Boshel
Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer by Boshel is everything that you need for it. It helps the dog owners in cutting or clipping their dog’s nails safely and professionally. The design is smart and ergonomically and fits into your hand perfectly. The blades are razor-sharp that makes the nail clipping process clean, quick, and easy every time.
- The clipper is highly recommended by the professional nail groomers and veterinarians
- The kit includes a small nail filer free of cost
- The clippers could be sued for cat nails also
- The price starts from $11.02 in Amazon
Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool
The tool has a rotary functioning that allows the dog owners and groomers to cut and shorten your dog’s nails without causing any trouble to them and the dog. It is cordless, which makes it even more functional and the kit comes with a battery charger.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty
- The charging time is up to 3 hours
- It includes a 5 ½ inch diameter of sanding bands
- The price starts with $29.99 on Amazon
URPOWER Rechargeable Pet Nail Grinder
The tool has a rotary design that allows the dog owners and anyone who is cutting the nails, to cut it easily and in a more smooth fashion. What makes it even more functional and easy to use is its cordless design and USB charging feature and it has a diamond bit grinder that increases efficiency and safety.
- Once it is fully charged, it could be used for up to 3 hours
- It is designed to work silently and making any annoying noise
- The clipper comes with a 90-day warranty
- The price starts from $15 on Amazon
Millers Forge Quality Nail Clipper
This is a heavy-duty nail clipper that is designed to be used on the dogs that weigh over 40 pounds of weight. It has sharp German stainless steel blades that do not crush your ESA dog’s nails but cut it cleanly and smoothly.
- The clipper is made in Italy
- It is designed to be used by both left and right-handed workers
- It is recommended by the professional pet groomers and veterinarians
- The price starts from $13.66 on Amazon
Professional Safari Dog Nail Clippers
Safari Professional Nail Trimmers for Dogs is a professional trimmer that is made with high-quality stainless steel. Grooming is important for your dog and this trimmer will help you trim your dog’s nails easily.
- High-quality, sharp and stainless steel, ideal for clean cuts
- Offers comfortable and non-slip grip to trim your long nails easily
- It is ideal for pet parents and professional dog groomers
- It has a double-blade cutter with a spring that ensures clean-cut and reduced injury
Best Dog Nail Clippers with Sensor
A dog nail clipper with a sensor not only helps you cut your dog’s nails but also prevents you from cutting your nails way too much. To get the right nail clipper, choose from the top 5 given below:
- Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer By Boshel - With Safety Guard
- DakPets Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmers - with Safety Guard
- GoPets Nail Clippers for Dogs & Cats
- Simply Pets Online Dog Nail Clippers - Stainless Steel Claw Cutters for Dogs
- PetSpy Best Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer with Quick Sensor
All of these nail clippers come with a safety guard and offer immaculate trimming.
Best Dog Nail Clippers with Light
Dog nail clippers with light are safer because with them you can see the path of your trimmer and stop in case you are trimming too close. Below are 5 of the best dog nail clippers that come with LED light:
- BOSHEL Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer with Safety Guard
- Fur Goodness Sake Dog Nail Clippers Large Breed
- Dudi Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer
- PetSpy Best Dog Nail Clippers and Trimmer with Quick Sensor
- Poodle Pet Nail Trimmer Clipper Scissors for Small Dogs, and Puppies
All of these nail clippers work well with all kinds of dogs. However, you will need to find the one that works best for your dog.
Best Large Dog Nail Clippers
Large dogs need extra care and handling. The below nail trimmers work great for your large large-sized dog:
- Safari W6107 Professional Large Nail Trimmer
- CleanHouse Pets Dog Nail Clippers
- MF 2279636 Large Dog Nail Clippers
- Epica 42 Professional Pet Nail Clippers
- SHINY PET 12 Dog Nail Clippers
If you are looking for a good heavy duty nail trimmer for your large dog then these 5 will be your topmost choices.
Best Small Dog Nail Clippers
Like large dogs, small dogs also have specific needs and nail trimming requirements. Below are the top nail clippers that are great for small dogs:
- Epica Professional Pet Nail Clippers
- Millers Forge Dog Nail Clippers
- Resco Original Deluxe Pet Nail Trimmer
- GoPets Nail Clippers
- Safari Professional Nail Trimmer
These small dog nail clippers are great for your dog and will help you trim Coco’s nails safely.
Best Dog Nail Clippers for Black Nails
Looking for dog nail clippers for your dog with black nails? Have a look at the below nail clippers that are designed to trim black nails:
- AIBORS Dog Nail Clippers
- Resco Original Deluxe Nail Clippers
- Millers Forge Dog Nail Clipper
- Pro Pet Works Dog Nail Clippers For Thick Nails
- Epica Professional Pet Nail Clipper
Black nails are usually thick and you will need an extra strong and durable nail clipper to cut and trim them.
Dog Nail Clippers Vs. Grinders
When looking for a nail clipper, the dog owners often choose from nail clippers and nail grinders. Both of these tools have a certain purpose and while the clippers would be a better choice for small dogs, a nail grinder will be better for large dogs.
Below are the pros and cons of using clippers and grinders:
- Nail clippers cut your dog’s nails smoothly and quickly while the grinder gives you a better and smooth end result.
- Grinders work great for dogs that have fear of nail clippers.
- The nail clippers work manually and you will not need any electricity for it.
- Clippers are really sharp and can cut your dog’s nails closely before you even notice it. With grinders, you can check if you hit it close.
- Nail clippers work quietly while grinders make a loud noise.
- Clippers work fine for small dogs or dogs with easy to clip nails but for dogs with hard and thick nails, grinders work better.
- Clippers are clean to work with while the grinders case dust and odor so you will need to use eye protection.
When choosing the clipping tool for your dog, make sure that you consider all the features and qualities of the tool.
How to Choose Dog Nail Clippers for your Dog?
Choosing a dog nail clipper is not as easy as picking just any of the clippers that are available in the market. When choosing one, the dog owner or the professional groomer needs to consider a number of things. Choosing the wrong type of nail clipper would be harmful to both you and your dog.
Claws are important for animals as they use them for their defense and they protect the ends of their paws. Just like our nails have a role in our health and well-being, the claws of your dog or cat also have a role in keeping their paws healthy and safe.
When choosing a nail clipper for your dog, consider the following things.
Take the Veterinarian’s or Professional’s Suggestion
Veterinarians and dog grooming professionals know about pet and animal products, which is why they are the best source to guide and help you. When looking for a nail clipper for your dog, consult your dog’s veterinarian and ask him about the kind of nail clippers that would be best for your dog. Usually, some clippers are good for one type of dog but may not be suitable for Coco.
Your dog’s doctor knows more about your dog and therefore, you must talk to him before getting a nail clipper for Coco.
Consider the Size of your Dog
Dogs of different sizes have different structures that include the structure and hardness of their nails also. Small dogs, medium-sized dogs, and large dogs, all will need different kinds of clippers to trim and cut their nails. Since the needs are different, different sized dogs need different and specially made clippers.
Some clippers are made to be used by dogs of all sizes while some are specially designed. Before taking any clipper, ask the dealer about the size and weight of the dogs that it is suitable for.
Consider the Type of the Nail Clippers
Nail clippers come in three different types including scissor clippers, guillotine clippers, and grinder tools. All three kinds of clippers and trimmers are ideal for specific sized dogs;
Scissor Clippers: These types of clippers are available for both small and large dogs. When choosing the scissor slippers, make sure that you choose the one that is made for the dogs of Coco’s age.
The best thing about scissor clippers is that they could be used to cut dog, cat, and bird nails also.
Guillotine Clippers: The clippers work as a guillotine and all you have to do is to stick your dog’s nail in its end and bring down the blade to clip it. It is preferred by the dog groomers and a multiple ESA and pet owner because it can be used to clip both dogs’ and cats’ nails.
However, it is hard to judge how much of the nail is cut and the clipper is ideal for different kinds of pets and for small to medium-sized dogs.
Grinding Tool: A grinding tool works differently than a clipper and comes with an emery or sandpaper stand where you could grind your dog’s nails easily. Dog nail grinders are ideal for large dogs that have rough and thick nails that are hard to cut and clip.
The grinding process is more time consuming than nail clipping and your animal will need some training to deal with the vibrating motion of the tool.
Look at the Quality of the Blade
Do you know that a blunt and rusted blade is harmful and painful for your dog? When choosing a nail clipper, make sure that you get the one that has a stainless steel blade. Sharp stainless steel blades are rust free and stay sharp for longer. Always buy a high-quality clipper that is easy to use and is safe for you and your pup.
Think about the Safety Features
When cutting or clipping the nails of your dog, it is easy to overdo it as with many clippers, you cannot see how much of the nail you have cut. When buying nail trimmers or clippers, try to find the one with an in-built guide or quick guard that will prevent any such thing. Over trimming is dangerous as it exposes your pooch to infections and may ruin your dog’s paws.
Dog nail clippers are an important and essential item in your dog's grooming kit. Without it, you will not be able to cut and groom your dog’s nails, which could lead to a number of other issues. Uncut nails could create problems in your dog’s movements that could further strain your animal’s bones and joints.
Other than dog clippers, you will need a number of other things like martingale collar, dog crates, snuffle mats, and dog houses to take care of your fluffy friend.
When choosing a nail clipper, make sure that you have considered all the given points and do try the ones that we have mentioned in this blog.