Which food is the best for my dog? Since a veterinarian knows more about your dog than you, a vet recommended dog food is the best that you could give to your canine. Food is an important part of anyone’s life and this means your dog’s life also.
When choosing the right food for your dog, always consider your animal’s age, breed, size, and weight of your dog. The kind and amount of food depend on all of these factors and no one could guide you better than a veterinarian.
Dogs are carnivorous animals but they do need some percentage of fruits and vegetables in their diet. However, every dog is different and has different dietary needs. This is why if you are thinking of changing your dog’s diet to a more nutritious one then consult your veterinarian for advice.
1. What is a Vet Recommended Dog Food?
In simple terms, the vet recommended dog food is recommended by a veterinarian. The veterinarian recommended diet is tested and is considered the best for the dogs. These foods are carefully tested and have all the nutrients that are necessary for the dogs.
Veterinarians are the pools of knowledge. They know so much about the kind of food that is best for canines, we suggest that you consult them to know about the food that is best for your dog.
Instead of choosing any dog food brand blindly, make sure that you have communicated with your veterinarian and read the food label carefully. To know about what vets feed their dogs or consider the best choice for canines, stay with us.
2. Vet Recommended Dog Food 2022 - Top Dog Food Options
And the best part is all of these recommended dog foods are tested and considered best for the dogs of various ages and breeds. As we always say, perfect dog food is formulated by considering various health conditions of your dog.
So, what dog food do vets recommend? All of the following dog food brands are recommended by veterinarians. Still, before you pick and feed your dog any of the following, always talk to your veterinarian first.
2.1 Hill’s Science Diet Dry Food
Looking for a vet recommended dog food for sensitive stomach? Nothing beats Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food. The food meets the nutritional requirements set by AAFCO and it is made with carefully added ingredients. It helps your dog to manage his weight and sensitive skin and stomach.
Why Choose Hill’s Science Diet for your Dog?
- Made with all-natural and nutritionally dense ingredients
- Meets and exceeds the nutritional and quality standards of the food industry
- Clean from all kinds of additives, chemicals, preservatives and unnatural colors and flavors
2.2 Royal Canin Dog Food
Royal Canin is a trusted name in the world of pet foods. The brand offers specifically designed and prepared dog food formulas for puppies and adult dogs. It is a top vet recommended puppy food that is carefully formulated for your puppy’s better growth.
Buying some of its formula may need special prescription from a veterinarian as they are prepared after considering the natural and medical state of the dogs.
Why Choose Royal Canin for your Dog?
- All the formulas are prepared by considering the soze, breed, health conditions and dietary needs of the dogs
- Prepared with high-quality proteins, fatty acids and fiber
- Supports bone and joint health
2.3 Purina Pro Plan Pet Food & Nutrition
Looking for an elaborate meal and treat combo for your dog? Purina Pro Plan Pet Food & Nutrition offers a full spectrum dog nutrition. Its unique blend of dry dog food, kibble, and shredded morsels of canned food. The combination adds a unique flavor to the food that offers a hearty meal to your dog.
Besides, they also produce Purina Pro Plan Puppy Food that is carefully blended and combined for puppies' growth and health.
Why Choose Purina Pro Plan Pet Food & Nutrition for your Dog?
- Real chicken is the primary ingredient that provides about 26% protein-to-fat ratio
- The food is rich and has a healthy blend of vitamin A, Omega 6 fatty acids and probiotics
- Helps in maintaining healthy digestion
2.4 NomNomNow Fresh Dog Food
NomNomNow is the best holistic vet recommended dog food available in the market. The brand is a trusted name and it prides itself in preparing and offering fresh dog food. They believe in preparing the food with human-grade and high-quality ingredients. It comes vacuum sealed and perfectly portioned for your dog.
Why Choose NomNomNow Fresh Dog Food?
- Prepared with fresh ingredients and delivered to your doorstep
- Comes in carefully portioned packets
- Prepared in collaboration with licensed veterinarians
2.5 Wellness CORE: Wellness Natural Pet Food
Looking for a vet recommended grain-free dog food option? Wellness CORE’s grain-free dog food formulas are made with organic and high-quality protein options like chicken, fish, turkey and duck.
It helps your dog get rid of and prevent skin and food allergy and inflammation. Besides managing food sensitivities, the food is known to provide significant benefits to the dogs.
Why Choose Wellness CORE: Wellness Natural Pet Food for your Dog?
- Grain-free formula are made with high-quality meat based protein
- It includes antioxidants, probiotics, glucosamine and fatty acids
- Made with chickpeas and lentils and prepared in the US
2.6 Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food
Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food variety offers high-quality, all-natural and organic food for your dog. Each recipe is made with organic meat portions, vegetables, oils, fruits and spices. The food is great to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy and shiny.
Why Choose Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food?
- All the recipes are prepared with organic, clean and all-natural ingredients
- The food is rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
- It is a safe and healthy dog food for all dog breeds
2.7 Hill’s Prescription Diet for Dogs
Besides making and offering a good range of dog food, Hill’s also makes special prescription dog foods. To get the food for your dog, you will need a prescription from your veterinarian. It has a good range of prescription diet that helps dogs to lose and manage healthy weight and manage other skin conditions.
Why Choose Hill’s Prescription Diet for your Dog?
- Great for dogs with special health needs
- Made with carefully calculated ingredients
- A great substitute to Royal canin allergy dog food
2.8 Nutro Ultra Dog Food
Nutro Ultra is a reputable and trusted name that is known to offer high-quality dry, limited ingredients and wet dog food. All the recipes are wholesome and prepared with premium ingredients that are great for your canine’s overall health and well-being. It offers complete and balanced nutrition for your dog and you will notice the change in just a few days.
Why Choose Nutro Ultra Dog Food?
- It is made with organic and farm-raised chicken, which is its first ingredient
- It is rich in protein, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and antioxidants
- It is free from GMOs and other artificial additives
Limited ingredient diet has fewer ingredients than the usual dog food and is generally cleaner than it. When looking for one, you can choose from the available limited ingredient dog food brands that offer high-quality food choices.
2.9 The Honest Kitchen Dog Food
The company makes and sells its dog food in dehydrated form. The dog food is made with organic and free-range chicken and human grade ingredients that are great for your dog’s health. This is why it is considered the healthiest dog food for dogs who cannot digest excessively processed food easily. The dog owners just measure out the food and add water to prepare the meal.
Why Choose The Honest Kitchen Dog Food?
- All the recipes are made with fresh and high-quality ingredients
- The food is free from all kinds of GMOs and other additives
- All the food recipes are prepared in the US
2.10 Natural Balance Dog Food
All the Natural Balance Dog Food recipes are grain-free and have meat as their primary ingredient. The food comes in different varieties like duck, chicken, lamb, bison, fish, venison and beef and some vegetarian options also. Moreover, it also offers special food formulas for overweight and dogs with special needs.
Why Choose Natural Balance Dog Food?
- It is free from all kinds of artificial additives and colours
- It offers grain-free and other varieties of dog food
- They make specially formulated food for dogs with special dietary needs
Other than the ones mentioned here, there are several other dog food options, including Blue Buffalo Dog Food that is great for your canine’s health and is highly recommended by vets.
3. Vet Recommended Homemade Dog Food
Want to make your dog’s food at home? It is not as difficult as many dog owners think. Making your dog’s food at home offers a number of benefits with budget and nutrition being the foremost benefits. However, something that many dog owners may ignore when preparing the food is that balance and proportion.
Making dog food at home does not mean that you should add everything blindly into it. To make the food effectively healthy and delicious make sure that you add the following ingredients into it.
- High-quality meat portion like chicken, eggs or fish
- Some kind of fat like meat fat or oil
- Whole grains and fresh vegetables for carbohydrates
- Oatmeal or egg yolks for essential fatty acids
As a general proportion, the food should have 50 percent protein, preferably high-quality meat, 25 percent vegetables, and 25 percent whole grains. The ratio could be adjusted as per your dog’s size, breed, and weight.
3.1 Vet Recommended Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Want to know about some easy to make homemade dog food recipes? Besides being fresh, these recipes are made with the recommendation from the licensed veterinarians. These recipes are simple to make and are better than the commercial dog food.
The best thing about them is that you can control the ingredients and customize them according to your needs. Some of the top vet recommended homemade dog food recipes are explained below.
Dog Food Recipe Number 1:
To make this recipe, you will need:
- 1 and ½ cups of brown rice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 pounds of turkey
- 3 cups of chopped baby spinach
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 shredded zucchini
- ½ cup of fresh or frozen peas
- Cook the brown rice as per the instructions and set it aside
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan or a pot and add the ground turkey in it. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the turkey crumbles
- Add all the other ingredients and cook until spinach wilts, for about 5 minutes
- Serve once it is completely cooled
Dog Food Recipe Number 2:
The recipe is recommended by MSCPA-Angell Animal Medical Center. The ratio of the ingredients will be different for the dogs of 15, 30 and 60 pounds while the recipe will follow the recommended dietary ratio for a 15 pounds dog. To make this recipe, you will need:
- 3 ounces cooked protein like dark chicken, eggs, beef, lamb or turkey
- 1 to ⅓ cups cooked carbohydrates like peas, rice, barley or oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon cooked or raw vegetables like baby spinach, squash, carrots, bell peppers or greens
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Mix all the ingredients, meat and vegetables in it and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Serve it when completely cooled
Dog Food Recipe Number 3:
The recipe is recommended by the Founder’s Veterinary Clinic of Brea, California. The recipe is made according to the needs of a 20 pounds dog that you could minimize by half for a 10 pounds of dog. You can also double the recipe for a 40 pound dog.
To make it, you will need:
- ¼ pound skinless cooked chicken
- 1 cup thoroughly cooked brown rice
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon potassium chloride
- Heat the oil in a pan
- Add the vegetables and chicken in it and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- Add potassium chloride at the end
Your dog needs potassium chloride and to help him get it from his food, add some of it in his food.
Vet recommended and designed dog food recipes are carefully planned and constructed to meet the dietary needs of dogs and help them gain optimum health. However, before switching your dog to any new type of brand of food, talk to your veterinarian first.
Based on age and health conditions, some dogs may need a special diet like that of a limited ingredient diet. Other than this, a low protein dog diet helps older dogs and those that have some health issues.
There are a number of low protein dog food brands that offer high-quality and specialized meals for dogs of all ages.
Emotional Support Animal is a loyal furry friend that offers companionship, love, and support. ESA owners have an increased sense of well-being and decreased anxiety.
If you're considering getting an emotional support animal, contact us today for more information on getting an ESA letter!