Many dog owners are turning to a limited ingredient diet due to many reasons. Limited ingredient dog food is made with limited and fewer ingredients than what you will find in usual dog food.
While dogs rely on high-quality protein for its nutrition and sustenance, there are some dogs that have food allergies and intolerances that cause several health issues. To control these issues, veterinarians put dogs on a limited ingredient diet that is made with high quality but limited ingredients that are good for your dog’s health.
However, finding and choosing the right limited ingredient food, or hypoallergenic dog foods, need proper knowledge and you may have to try different food brands before finding the right one.
What is a Limited Ingredient Dog Food?
Limited ingredient dog food has fewer ingredients than the usual dog food. This kind of food is prepared with limited ingredients, usually, an uncommon and single source of protein like a rabbit, duck, lamb, and sweet potatoes.
Dogs prefer this kind of diet when they have food sensitivities and intolerances and sometimes because they have some health issues. Limited ingredient dog food helps you to keep your pooch healthy while warding off different food-related allergies.
The formula for this food is very simple and you can actually count the ingredients in the ingredient list. The best thing about this food is that though it has fewer ingredients, still, it provides complete nutrition to your dog.
These limited ingredient dog food choices come in both dry and wet alternatives but canned and wet food is better by many standards. However, to find the right wet food treats, check the top canned dog food choices to choose the one for your dog.
Best Limited Ingredient Dog Food Options in 2022
Looking for the best limited ingredient dog food for Coco? Our list of top 10 limited ingredient dog food brands are reputable and known for providing high quality, exclusive and different kinds of dog foods.
There are a number of things that are involved when choosing the right food for your dog. The size, weight, breed and medical conditions of your dog, all play a role in knowing what is right for your canine. Therefore, we suggest that you work with a veterinarian to find what is right for Coco.
Talking about the top limited ingredient dog food brands, below are 10 of the most effective limited or hypoallergenic dog foods that are great if your dog needs something other than the regular doggie meal.
Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient Dog Food
This is good for their immune system. The formula is clean from the traditional ingredients that cause allergies and, still, provides complete nutrition to your dog.
The food has fish oil in it, which keeps your dog's skin and coat healthy and shiny and since it has no fillers, Coco will get all the nutrition without the additives.
Blue Buffalo always keeps real meat as its main ingredient and this particular dog food comes in salmon flavour that is an absolute favourite of many dogs. The formula includes the chicken meal, fish meal, deboned real salmon, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- It is completely grain-free and has no corn, wheat or soy in it
- It has Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, which is essential for healthy and shiny hair and skin
- Exclusive Lifesource Bits; a healthy blend of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins
Royal Canin Canine Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Dry for Small Breed
Looking for a limited ingredient dog or pet food formula for your small dog? Royal Canin’s dog food formula contains hydrolyzed soy protein that is ideal for dogs that have specific protein sensitivity or allergies
It is widely recommended by the veterinarians and as per the brand’s claim, it is absolutely allergen-free and when you are new to the limited ingredient dog food idea then this is an ideal choice.
- The soy proteins in the food are hydrolyzed and processed to be eaten and digested easily
- The food is designed and formulated to support dental health and minimize the chances of kidney stones
- Omega 3 fatty acids in the food help in controlling and maintaining inflammation
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dog Food includes venison as its primary ingredient. Venison is unlike the common protein sources and dogs that are allergic to those types of meats usually have no issues with venison.
Other than venison, this limited ingredient venison dog food formula also has sweet potatoes, salmon oil and flaxseeds, all the ingredients that are great for your dog’s inner and outer health.
Besides venison, other limited ingredient dog food formulas of the brand include duck and potatoes as the main ingredients of the food.
- Blend of unique meat like duck and venison
- Grain-free and easy to digest carbohydrates that keep your dog full of energy
- The food has omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids as one of its main ingredients
Merrick Limited Ingredient Dog Food
The food formula comprises easy to digest carbohydrates and it is ideal if your dog has a gluten intolerance. It is completely grain-free and it includes important nutrients like amino acids, minerals and vitamins.
It is clean from all kinds of additives, preservatives and artificial colours and omega 3 and 6 being one of its defining ingredients, it helps to keep your dog's coat and skin healthy.
The brand also offers grain-free food that comes in nine distinct limited food recipes including salmon, venison, duck, turkey, buffalo, rabbit, turkey and Texas beef. Other than this, all of its food has an added ingredient, glucosamine, which is good to keep your dog's joints and hips healthy.
- It has a healthy source of nutrients that are essential for good dog health
- The formula comes in 9 different flavours
- The dry food could be mixed with wet food if the same brand
Nutro Limited Ingredient Dog Food
This limited ingredient dog food formula is made with minimal processing and contains 10 ingredients that are important for your dog's proper development and sustenance. The formula is carefully developed and each ingredient serves a specific purpose in it.
Besides, all of its food formulas are free from GMO, grains and chicken. The beetroot pulp in the food helps to get rid of the inflammation while the other ingredients help to prevent any allergies.
Moreover, you can also mix the dry dog food with wet dog food of the same brands and reap the benefits of both of them.
- Each dog food formula includes unique meat blends like lamb, chickpea and potatoes
- The formula is completely grain-free and does not have any corn, soy or wheat in it
- In case you are not satisfied, you can get your money back
American Journey Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Looking to give your dog a hearty and grain-free meal? American Journey Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Lamb and Sweet Potato formula contain deboned and high quality lamb as its first and foremost ingredient. The formula is one of the best limited ingredient grain free dog food that has a single source of protein and with its delectable taste, Coco is sure to love it
Other than lamb, the food is made with easy to digest carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and peas and is completely clean from all kinds of grains like wheat, corn, soy and unhealthy ingredients like an animal by-product, artificial flavours and colours, and preservatives.
To keep your dog's skin and coat healthy, the food formula has flaxseed and sunflower oil, which is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. All the ingredients used in this food formula is of premium quality and once your dog likes it, there will be no turning back.
- The formula is grain-free and based on a single source of protein, which makes it ideal for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs
- The premium quality animal protein in the food helps to keep your dog's muscles lean and healthy
- It provides a complete meal plan for your dog that comprises of easy to digest carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and peas
- The formula is clean from all kinds of grains, artificial additives and preservatives
- It contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that keep the skin and coat healthy, soft and shiny.
Canidae Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Besides using limited ingredients, the food formula is developed with seven main ingredients that are rich in probiotics, vitamins and minerals. The food recipe is designed with the aim of providing complete and wholesome nourishment to your dog while being light on your stomach.
Other than this, Canidae also offers a limited ingredient diet dry food that is a salmon and sweet potato recipe. The food has a healthy mix of eight ingredients including vitamins, minerals and probiotics. It is easy to digest and your dog's body will absorb the nutrition easily.
Since it is made with wholesome carbohydrates, you will be able to give your dog a completely nutritious meal minus the allergens.
- It has healthy and wholesome ingredients like sweet potatoes, bison and lamb
- The whole foods included in the formula are easy to digest and absorb
- The recipe is simple and its limited ingredients are great for sensitive stomachs
Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
Looking for a limited ingredient dog food that is made with fewer ingredients and is easy to digest? Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food has salmon and potato as its main ingredient.
It is easy to digest and is ideal for dogs having allergies, food sensitivity and intolerance. The Wellness Limited Ingredient Dog Food recipes have a single protein source that is mixed with premium quality carbohydrates.
The formula is designed to provide complete and premium quality nutrition to your dog that is free from any kind of additives and preservatives. All the ingredients are carefully added and contain flaxseeds and chicory root that provide omega 3 fatty acid and prebiotics to help with healthy digestion.
- All the ingredients are natural, limited and based on a single source of protein
- The formula does not include any type of grains, fillers and artificial preservatives and additives
- It has prebiotics and probiotics that help and aids healthy digestion
Instinct Limited Ingredient Dog Food
This is one of the best limited ingredient wet dog food formula that comes in three different recipes including turkey, chicken and duck. All the recipes are clean from potatoes, fish, eggs, grains, beef, chicken, wheat, corn and soy. All the formulas are simple and contain only a single protein and vegetable, the result is a palatable loaf.
This dog food is made with ingredients that are healthy for your dog and is clean from all kinds of useless fillers that may cause any allergies. Besides, it is a good option as a limited ingredient dog food without peas also.
- The food contains freeze dried meat
- It is clean from all kinds of dairy, eggs, fish, beef and chicken
- It has omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that control skin sensitivities
What are the Benefits of Limited Ingredient Dog Food?
Wondering about the benefits of a limited ingredient dog food diet? There are a lot of benefits of introducing limited ingredient food into your dog's diet. Usually, dog food is infused with a long list of ingredients that include preservatives, additives and artificial flavors and colors.
Limited ingredient diet options like low protein dog food and others help dogs in maintaining their health and staying healthy. Like LID, low protein dog food can help your dog if your dog suffers from allergies and various health conditions like bladder stones, liver diseases, weight gain and kidney issues.
However, before choosing the one for your dog, check a complete low protein dog food guide to know about the best brands and their benefits.
If you're an ESA owner, don't wait any longer to get the emotional support you deserve. Get your ESA letter now and start experiencing the benefits of having an emotional support animal.
Click here to learn more about the ESA Letter requirements!
Frequently Asked Questions
What dog food has minimal ingredients?
Following are the dog food brands with minimal ingredients:
- Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Instinct Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- Canidae Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- American Journey Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Nutro Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Merrick Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dog Food
- Royal Canin Canine Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein Dry for Small Breed
What do you feed a dog with a chicken allergy?
If you have a dog with chicken allergy you can choose a dog food brand that offers an alternate source of protein. Some other meat sources that you can feed to your dog are:
What dry dog food is killing dogs?
Sportmix brand dry kibble has been reported to kill more than two dozen dogs. It was reported by the Food and Drug Administration department that this dog food has suspected aflatoxin in high quantities that can kill pets.
What is the difference between grain free and limited ingredient dog food?
The difference between a grain free and limited ingredient diet is that grain-free food is free from all kinds of grains but has alternate sources of carbohydrates like peas, oats, potato, etc. However, a limited ingredient food only has one protein and carbohydrate source.