Both CBG and CBD oils are great for your pet or ESA’s health. These oils are extracted from different parts of the hemp or cannabis plant and are useful cannabinoids that are used for different purposes and medicines. Both of them have non-psychoactive effects but research shows that CBG has some specific qualities that are different from CBD and offers promising therapeutic effects.
CBD is great for your pet’s or dog’s health as it offers both physical and mental benefits. CBD oil for dogs is a great ingredient to calm a nervous or tired dog, relieve them of different diseases, and prevent several diseases in them. Till now only CBD was the known cannabinoid but scientists are working towards researching more benefits of CBG and other cannabinoids.
Know more about how they differ and offer various benefits.
What is CBG?
Cannabigerol, CBG, is one of the more than 120 cannabinoids. These cannabinoids are found in the cannabis plant. Though there is no significant medical research backing its positive effects there are studies that swear by the therapeutic or medicinal effects of CBG and cannabigerolic acid, CBGA. It has more analgesic benefits than tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and it does it without making your dog or cat high.
When the cannabis plant grows and matures, the cannabigerolic acid in it converts into enzymes. Out of these, three are the main forms of cannabinoid; tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, THCA, cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) and cannabichromenic acid (CBCA). From the rest of the CBGA that is not yielded or converted, CBG is extracted.
However, it is extracted in very small amounts, approximately 1 percent by weight. To increase production, plant breeders are working to do it through crossbreeding and genetic manipulation.
What is CBD?
Short for cannabidiol (CBD), it is one of the main compounds found in hemp and makes up nearly 40% of its composition. It is a non-intoxicating cannabinoid that is extracted or obtained by a synthesized plant chemical that has a lower to no ability to make your dog high.
In humans, the CBD molecules bind with the endocannabinoid system and communicating with the receptors. Further, they attach to the peripheral system and helps in managing and regulating several psychological functions. CBD oil or extracts are used in various treatments including:
- Childhood Epilepsy
- Anti-inflammatory Properties
- Sedative Qualities
- Impaired Cognitive Functioning
When paired with the THC, CBD provides greater benefits, and the respective phenomenon is known as the entourage effect. Working through different physiological ways, it partially connects with both CB1 and CB2 receptors, besides connecting with the endocannabinoid system.
CBG Vs. CBD - What are the Key Differences?
Though they seem quite similar, there are some significant differences between them. Below, we have listed and explained some of the key differences between these two.
- Both cannabigerol and cannabinoid have a different molecular structure. The way hydrogen, oxygen, carbon atoms arrange and their three-dimensional shapes are different from each other.
- CBG and CBD activate the receptors differently. Where both of them are bound to the same place, they have different and, often, the opposite effects on the receptors.
- CBG stimulates hunger while CBD reduces it. As per the research on rats, CBG stimulated hunger in rats while in some places it does not have any effect at all. In the case of CBD, it reduced hunger in rats.
- Compared to CBD, CBG is extremely and significantly scarce. On average, the amount of CBD’s extraction is 20% while the percentage for CBG is 1%.
- CBG has an ability to bind with the CB1 and CB2 receptors. CBD does not bind with these receptors directly but stimulates them only.
- Like CBD, CBG is also extracted from the hemp plant but unlike CBD, it is present for a very short time and when the plant is in its early growth. This is why the extraction is so scarce.
- Since CBG is present early in the development of the plant, it transforms into different cannabinoids including the CBD and THC, which means that CBG is the mother of all CBDs.
There could be other differences between CBG and CBD, depending on the depth and availability of the research. However, it is believed that there are some potential benefits of CBG, some of which are similar to CBD.
What makes CBG Better than CBD?
Though both CBG and CBD are important and useful cannabinoids, CBG offers slightly more benefits than CBD. Though it offers some elevated benefits than CBD, it shows more promising benefits and results in some specific health conditions like its neuroprotective and cell regeneration properties.
As per the studies, CBG is better than CBD and other cannabinoids when it comes to managing and preventing muscle contractions, bladder issues, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits, and inhibition of cancer cells. However, since both of these extracts come from the same plant, it is suggested that you use it together to achieve the entourage effect.
Like humans, these extracts have shown significant results in dogs and cats also. Like CBD oil, CBG oil or extract offers myriad benefits.
Can I use human-grade CBG for my dog? Yes, you can and it is suggested that you use the oil or extract that is made for humans. Though many suppliers try to make you believe that animals and humans need different kinds of CBG, they are probably trying to increase their sales.
The only difference could be that the one specifically for pets could have some specific flavor or aroma to entice them. Similarly, snuffle mats for dogs also help in stimulating their sense of smell and also help them relax. Like snuffle mats and CBD oil, CBG also helps in relieving stress and offering other benefits.
If you're looking for an ESA letter, we can help.
Our experts will help you get the documentation you need to live and travel with your ESA.
Give us a call today or fill out our online form to know how to get an esa letter!