Dog owners know that dogs have an insatiable appetite for human food.
Unfortunately, not all fruits make a good treat for your pup. Some fruits could cause severe reactions or even lead to death in worst-case scenarios.
One fruit that should be off the menu is ‘Grapes’ - these little pieces of sweetness can fail your dog’s kidney.
Yes, and it’s a Fact!
Keep reading this blog, if you want to know why grapes are toxic and what are symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs.
Let's get started!
No, grapes are highly toxic to dogs.
We know dogs are always on the hunt for a snack from their owners' plates. They are as curious about food as we are, but they don't have the ability to tell us what is and isn't safe. They also tend to eat anything on the ground, which can be an issue if you're not careful.
Grapes in particular can pose a severe problem because they contain acid that breaks down tissue in dogs' stomachs. In some cases, this has led to death from complications, including sepsis or peritonitis.
Learn more about it in the next section.
Ingestion of both grapes and raisins can be fatal to your pup.
Toxic substances within grapes or raisins are still unknown. But it’s a fact that grapes can lead your dog to kidney failure, which could even prove deadly if not treated immediately.
Raisins are the dried form of grapes and contain the same ingredients that could be toxic for your dog. So, it's best that we heed the warning for dogs when it comes to these tasty fruits.
A lot of people ask can dogs eat grapes without the skin? Can dogs eat green seedless grapes? Or can dogs eat purple grapes?
No, not at all. They all are toxic to dogs.
All varieties ranging from seedless to homegrown or organic are toxic to your canine friends. Also, every color of grapes, such as red, green, and purple should be avoided when it comes to dogs, cats, or any pet.
In general, all types of grapes and grape products can set off a reaction that results in severe reactions.
Dried grape types such as raisins and sultanas can also be harmful if consumed by your dog - so watch out!
Some people will say that they know what grapes are safe for dogs, but this is simply not true. The acid in the fruit makes it a toxic snack no matter what color or variety it is.
Can a single grape kill a dog? Yes, even if just one grape was consumed, this could be fatal as well!
This is the reason why vets treat most dogs who've eaten grapes or raisins very aggressively.
All raisins and grapes are a problem: seedless, skinned out of the grocery store or out of the wine vineyard. Brutlag says it's unlikely that one grape will cause problems in medium to large dogs.
He adds, ‘In a small dog, like a Chihuahua, one grape could be enough to cause a problem.’ She says it’s heartbreaking when new dog owners don't know how toxic these common fruit snacks are to dogs.
‘The new dog owner sees the dog eat some raisins, the dog gets sick, and they had no idea they were causing the problem. They feel terrible because they were the ones to cause harm to their dog.’ she states.
So, it’s better to check fruit bowls before leaving your house so no accidents happen while you're gone.
Here are some other foods that are toxic for your dog:
Want to treat your pup with a fruity treat? Below are the fruits that are good for your dog.
The onset of symptoms begins within 12-24 hours after ingestion of grapes. But it can take up to 72 hours in some cases. Symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs include:
The first thing you need to do is to take the dog straight to the vet. Even if you suspect your dog has swallowed something that could be toxic, immediately contact a local veterinarian or pet emergency clinic for assistance.
Dogs have a different digestive system than humans and can't just brush it off as we can. So, it is more likely that their stomachs will be upset for days. The veterinarian might even recommend surgery in some cases.
While calling for assistance, there are some steps you can take in the meantime. Such as keeping an eye on their breathing and level of consciousness (and even trying to induce vomiting if they're conscious).
When your dog has eaten something toxic like grapes or raisins, a veterinarian may ask you to try to induce vomiting at home.
Brutlag says, ‘We want to get the grapes or raisins out of the stomach as soon as possible’
A veterinarian may recommend giving your dog a small amount of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Also, guiding you on the correct dose for your dog's weight and age. You'll pour or squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of the dog's mouth or into the back of your dog's cheek.
Brutlag says, ‘If we get that grape or raisin back [in the vomit], the dog owner may be able to monitor the dog at home.’
But Brutlag warns that pet owners should NOT try to induce vomiting if the dog is struggling to breathe or unconscious, especially for brachycephalic breeds like bulldogs and pugs.
Their short, flat noses make them more likely to breathe in or aspirate vomit if they throw up (which can be fatal). Also, if you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic with the grapes or raisins (like a household chemical), vomiting is not safe for your dog, and you need to visit the veterinarian immediately.
Grapes are a common allergy-inducing fruit, but grape seed extract seems to be safe for dogs with arthritis. Grape seeds contain antioxidants called proanthocyanidins, which help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis.
It is especially helpful in managing their pain levels and stiffness without any adverse effects that have been reported so far.
But since each dog's toxic reaction can be different from one another, veterinarians recommend that owners avoid giving their pets any grape products in order to prevent harm.
Grape juices come from the skin and flesh of grapes, so they contain all-natural toxins that include resveratrol (a chemical that is found in red wine but also has been studied extensively as an antioxidant).
In addition to this risk, cooked foods containing raisins or currants pose as much danger due to their other risks such as choking hazards and allergic reactions.
Did you know that your dog has the same nutritional needs as humans? That's why it is important to give them vitamins in addition to their food.
What kind of vitamin supplements should you get for your pup, though?
Dogs have specific vitamin requirements, which includes:
According to Dr. Gary Richter, award-winning vet and member of Rover’s Dog People Panel, ‘All dogs are of the species Canis familiaris and as such have very similar nutritional needs.’
Commercial dog food is specifically formulated to meet those needs. If your dog’s food is labeled ‘complete and balanced,’ it contains all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs.
No, it’s proven and it turns out that grapes are actually deadly for your dogs! So be careful dog owners.
How many grapes will kill a 50-pound dog?
Dangerous doses start as low as 1–2 grapes for a 10-pound dog and 3–4 grapes for a 20-pound dog. It means that a 50-pound dog could be poisoned by eating 15 ounces of grapes or 2 to 3 ounces of raisins.
How many dogs have died from eating grapes?
According to a study, out of the 43 dogs that ingested raisins or grapes, 23 survived and recovered with no side effects. Surprisingly enough, 15 received euthanasia procedures for unknown reasons while 5 died due to unidentified causes.
What percentage of dogs die from eating grapes?
A frightening fact is that between 50 and 75 percent of dogs who suffer from acute renal failure, die as a result of eating grapes.