Looking for nutrient-rich dog food for your beloved canine? You will find a number of professionally prepared dog food that is prepared with nutrients that are good for your canine family member’s health and well-being.
Many people think that a commercially prepared dog food formula is not rich in vitamins and other nutrients, there are many top dog food brands that work with professionals and prepare carefully designed food for your dog. Dog food comes in various price tags and it is believed that cheaper food products are cheap in quality also, which is true to a large extent.
However, there are some known dog food brands that offer affordable dog food, which is high in quality and provides your dog with all the essential nutrients. Many of these are approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials that look after the pet food quality of different brands.
In this blog, we have discussed some of the top dog food products that are essential for your emotional support dog’s health.
What Makes the Best Dog Food?
Dog food is a commercially prepared food that is formulated by combining the essential and important nutrients that are significant for your dog's health. This commercially prepared food comes both in dry and wet forms and is considered essential for a healthy dog diet.
A good and healthy dog food consists of meat, grains, vegetables, and fruits. Since dogs are not strictly carnivorous like cats, grains and vegetables offer an excellent source of proteins, vitamins, and a number of nutrients that are essential for good health. Some people think that pre-made dog food is injurious and does not offer complete nutrition, which is wrong.
However, check the food label before buying anything for your dog.
Best Dog Food Brands in 2022
“What is the number one healthiest dog food?”
There are a number of dog food brands that prepare high-quality dog food that is great for your doggie's health. All of these dog food packages and formulas are carefully prepared under the supervision and guidance of a professional dietician and dog food expert.
Orijen Dog Food
Probably the best dog food available in the market right now, Orijen is special because it is specifically designed and formulated to cater to your dog’s natural biological needs and maintain its body’s natural balance.
- Made with natural and high-quality ingredients with minimal grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Contain low glycemic and digestible carbs and plant-based ingredients
- Has nearly 90% meat, more than any other dog food
However, you must lookout for the best dog food for allergies that your dog may have or get due to any added ingredients. Consult a veterinarian to choose a good dog food brand for your doggie.
This dog food is best for the people and dog owners that are looking for something that is ideal for every stage of a dog’s life. The company is independent and works with other personally owned businesses to get the recipes.
- Family-owned business and each recipe prepared in their personally owned facility
- Age-specific food formulas and recipes, both grain-free and limited ingredient options
- Life stages line of pet food products includes uniquely formulated seven recipes
All the recipes are prepared with digestible carbohydrates and high-quality proteins. When traveling with your dog, carrying your dog’s favorite food is a great way of keeping your dog calm.
Blue Buffalo Wet Dog Food
Wet food is considered to be more expensive than dry food and is dense in nutrients than dry food. Usually, wet food has more meat content, moisture, and is easier to eat and digest than dry dog foods.
- Four unique food product lines, making it easier for the pet and ESA owners to choose the best food for their dog
- Made with natural ingredients and real meat and free from low-quality and artificial ingredients
- Available both in grain-free and limited ingredients versions
Moreover, a number of other ingredients based recipes and formulas are available in its different range of dog foods.
Taste of the Wild
Taste of the Wild is a grain-free best dry dog food that offers a number of healthy ingredients and recipes that are made with real roasted meats including lamb, venison, and bison. Though dogs are good at absorbing multiple grains and grain-based ingredients, there are fair chances that a dog may get some kind of grain allergy from it.
- Made with high-quality and 100% real meat, fiber, and digestible carbohydrates
- 100% natural flavor
- More nutritious and causes fewer food allergies
Besides, they also add antioxidants, probiotics, and chelated minerals to support more absorption, a stronger immune system, and digestive health.
Primal Pet Foods
Do you know that raw dog food is more nutritionally dense than processed and commercially prepared dog food? Dogs have different body needs than humans and for them, raw food is something that is a part of their natural food system.
- Prepared with raw, organic, fresh and human-grade ingredients
- 9 distinct recipes, prepared with organic ingredients and frozen fresh
- Made with animal protein, clean from any kind of steroids, artificial flavors, hormones, and antibiotics
Primal Pet Foods is considerably pricier than many others that are present in the market but it also offers more nutrition and energy than many of those food products.
Whole Earth Farms
When it comes to choosing the right and the best food product for your dog, it is highly suggested that you do not try to get the cheapest option. However, Whole Earth Farms is one such brand that offers quality with affordability
- Cooked and prepared in the U.S. and with nutritious, fresh and natural ingredients
- Carefully selected ingredients including digestive carbohydrates, probiotics, and chelated minerals
- 11 dry food and 15 canned food options, formulated and prepared for different ages and breeds
It is clean from any kind of grains like corn, soy, or wheat and does not contain any additives or artificial flavors.
Taste of the Wild Puppy Food
Looking for the best dog food for puppies? Taste of the Wild puppy food is the right choice for you. Puppies have different needs than adult dogs and a portion of the ideal puppy food is formulated to provide a healthy amount of fats and protein to aid its healthy growth.
- Easy to digest and bite-sized kibble that is easy to serve and eat
- High-quality buffalo and roasted venison, ideal for puppies’ overall development
- Grain-free and easy to digest carbohydrates from sweet potatoes, fresh vegetables, and fruits
Besides having essential vitamins and minerals, it also has good taste, which makes it an irresistible treat for puppies.
Older or senior dogs have different dietary needs than a puppy or a young dog. These dogs are less active than younger dogs and, therefore, will need fewer calories. A complete food that is designed to keep your senior dog’s joints and bones healthy and aid in its easy mobility.
- Available in both puppy and adult dog food versions
- Prepared with fresh and quality ingredients like fruits, fresh vegetables, protein, whole grains, and boneless chicken
- Clean from any additives and grains like corn, soy, and wheat
Adding to its nutritional value, the food has chelated minerals, chondroitin, glucosamine, and probiotics, necessary for optimal dog health.
Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Dog Food
Small dog breeds are different from larger dogs. They have a faster metabolism and while they will not need as many total calories as a large breed, because of their metabolism, you will have to feed your dog a high protein diet that is rich in fat content.
- Freeze-dried raw to maintain high-quality and nutrition
- Rich in quality animal protein like beef, lamb, salmon, and chicken
- Made with grain-free carbohydrates like fruits, vegetables, and sweet potatoes
To add to the benefits, the kibble is easy to eat and keeps dental problems away, which is quite common in small dogs.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Dog Food is a specialized formula that is designed to maintain the health of large breed dogs. Large dog breeds need about 20 to 30 percent of calories per pound of body weight.
- Made with organic and fresh meat, digestible carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables
- Added exclusive LifeSource Bits, a blend of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants
- 3 flavors and a healthy dose of calcium, phosphorus, and fat
Excess fat causes weight gain only, which could be a problem in their future life. They need something that could help them in maintaining a healthy weight while fulfilling the daily protein need.
Other than these, there are some highly effective low-protein dog foods also. Dogs that are older than 7 years or have some health issues need a low-protein diet.
A complete guide on low-protein dog food will help you understand why it is important for your dog, what are factors that you should consider before choosing dog food.
Best Dog Food for German Shepherd - Puppies and Adults
German Shepherd is one of the most famous and common dog breeds. Everyone, literally EVERYONE, loves GSD. Food plays an important role in keeping your GSD healthy. Below we have added some effective dog food brands available in the market:
For German Shepherd Puppies:
- Holistic Select
- Blue Buffalo
- Wellness Complete Health
- Wellness CORE
For German Shepherd Adult Dog:
- Dr. Gary’s Best Breed German Dog Diet
- Merrick Grain-Free Large Breed Real Chicken and Sweet Potato
- Wellness Complete Health Grain-Free Large Breed
- Eagle Pack Power Adult Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon Recipe
Best Dog Food for Labrador - Puppies and Adults
Looking for the best dog food for your labrador puppies and adult dog? Below are some of the best labrador puppy and adult dog foods:
For Labrador Puppies:
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Large Breed Puppy
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Large Breed Puppy Food
- Purina Pro Plan Dry Puppy Food
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed Puppy Food
- ORIJEN High Protein Food for Labrador Puppy
For Labrador Adult Dog:
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Chicken & Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Labrador Retriever Adult Dry Dog Food
- Earthborn Holistic Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Best Dog Food for Huskies - Puppies and Adults
Huskies are the beauties of the dog kingdom. With those beautiful and piercing blue eyes, it seems like it is looking straight into our soul. When it comes to food, huskies have more sensitive stomachs than others. Below is the list of the top dog food for huskies:
For Husky Puppies:
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance Whole Body Health Dry Puppy Formula
- Sojos Complete Natural Freeze-Dried Natural Raw & Dehydrated Grain-Free Dog Food
- CANIDAE Grain-Free Pure Dog Wet Food in the Puppy Chicken Formula Limited Ingredient Diet
- Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Puppy Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe
For Adult Huskies:
- Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food
- Holistic Select Grain-Free
- Iams Proactive Health Dry Dog Food
- Go! Solutions Carnivore
All of these dog foods are great for your dogs and help with their healthy development and sustenance.
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for your Dog?
Finding and choosing the right dog food is important for your dog’s health. There are many emotional support and pet dog owners that think that everything that is available in the supermarket is good for their dog, which is wrong. Every dog breed has different dietary requirements and you must keep some things in mind when choosing dog food for your dog.
Below are some of the things that you must consider when searching for a dog food brand.
- Consult the veterinarian to get some professional advice on the type of food that will be best for your dog.
- Consider your dog’s breed, size, and age. Larger dogs have different needs than smaller dogs in the same way as older dogs have different needs than younger dogs. Talk to the doctor about it.
- Do online research on the dog food that is available in the market and some research about the type of food that would be good for your dog.
- Check the ingredients of the dog food and talk to the store’s staff about it. The staff members usually know a lot about this dog food and they could guide you easily.
- When introducing a new diet, keep a close eye on your dog to see if it is causing any side effects and increase the amount gradually.
Food is an essential part of anyone’s life and your dog is no different. Just like us, they need proper nutrition to function properly. Healthy dog food has a balanced blend of fats, vitamins, meat, grains, and grain-free carbohydrates and antioxidants. All of these are essential for your beloved doggie’s health and you should be careful about what you add to its plate.
Frequently Asked Questions
What brand of dog food is killing dogs?
Sportmix brand dry kibble has been reported to kill more than two dozen dogs. It was reported by the Food and Drug Administration department that this dog food has suspected aflatoxin in high quantities that can kill pets.
Is dry or wet food better for dogs?
In many ways, wet dog food has been recommended more by vets than dry food. This is primarily because wet food is easily digestible and has more dissolved nutrients than dry dog food. But you can also serve your pet a mixture of dry and wet food.